Sunday 25 March 2012

Retro Miss - Vintage Victory Rolls

About a year ago (partly inspired by Kate Middleton's goregously flowing locks) I decided it was time for a change in the hair department and began growing out my much loved pixie crop. Now, with shoulder-skimming tresses, my hair is at last long enough to do something with and so this is my first tentative attempt at a hair tutorial...

As I've mentioned before, I love all things retro and in particular the style and fashions of the 1940s and 50s - cheeky, flirty, pin-up, munitions-factory Americana! This retro up-do, complete with victory rolls and cute little french braid, is my attempt at all that!

This style works best when my hair has some curl in it - today I used a hot roller set but it works equally well with either depression rollers (rags) or sponge rollers (as below) I don't use any particular set, just make sure to roll under!

You'll need...
A hair brush, rat-tail comb, curby grips (bobby pins), hair spray and a hair accessory (optional)
Start by brushing through your curls and then use the rat-tail comb to section off a piece at the front of your hair (I leave my fringe or bangs loose) depending on the length of your hair you can afford to take most of the side section.
At this point I use a little hair spray on this section, just to tame any fly-aways and make the hair easier to work with. Wrap the ends of your hair around two finges and then roll in towards your head. This can be a little fiddly and take several attempts! My lovely friend Amy-Lea (who happens to be a budding vintage/pin-up model - http://www.modelmayhem.com/2454803) always has perfect Victory Rolls but if like me your technique is a work in progress check out the wonderful vintage guru Lisa Freemont Street...


Once you're happy with the shape and position of your Victory Roll, secure it with a couple of grips...


Now repeat on the other side - don't worry too much about making them perfectly symmetircal...you'll drive yourself to distraction believe me!


When you've got your Victory Rolls in place its time to get braiding! Take a small section from behind one ear (it doesn't matter which ear) divide it into three sections of equally size and start braiding around the back of your head, as close to the hairline as you can get. It sounds complicated but just use the basic French Braid technique - this tutorial is a great guide if you get stuck...


Once you're happy with your braid secure it behind the Victory Roll on the opposite side to where you began the braid - I use grips and lots of hair spray for this...

Then all that's left is to hide the end of your braid with a hair accessory - my preference is for flowers but a bow would be very cute too! And that's it! 50's Americana is a big trend this S/S 2012 so why not channel your inner pin-up with this retro up-do :)

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment