Sunday 20 November 2011

Happy Stir-up Sunday!

Today is Stir-up Sunday (the last Sunday before Advent) so-called because its traditional on this day to make your Christmas Pud! I know Christmas still seems a little way off...a whole 34 days (nearly 5 weeks) but this is the perfect time to make your pudding and allow all those yummy flavours to mature! Traditionally you're supposed to get the whole family in the kitchen as you make the pud, each one giving a stir and making a wish in turn, starting with the youngest. To honor the three kings you're supposed to stir from east to west but I'm afraid I don't own a compass and as my Pa was up a tree doing a spot of pruning at the time, only myself and my Mama had a stir!
As this is my first attempt at making a Christmas Pudding I thought I'd look to Domestic Goddess Nigella Lawson for a little guidance (sorry Delia!) I have a couple of Nigella's books including 'How to be a Domestic Goddess' and 'Nigella Christmas', both of which have slightly differing Christmas Pudding recipes! I couldn't choose between them and so cherry-picked my favourite bits from both (I think Nigella would approve), fingers-crossed it turns out ok!

Serves 10-16 as part of a Christmas Feast, 8-10 if not.

150g Currents
75g Sultanas
75g Raisins
150g Prunes, scissored into pieces
60g Candied peel
50g Glace Cherries
175ml Brandy, rum or Pedro Ximenez Sherry
100g Plain Flour
125g Breadcrumbs
150g Suet
150g Dark Muscovado Sugar
50g Walnut pieces
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 ground Cloves
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
grated zest of 1 Lemon
3 eggs
1 medium cooking apple, peeled and grated
2 x 15ml tablespoons honey

1x1.7litre/3 pint heatproof plastic pudding basin

  • Put all the fruit into a large bowl along with your booze of choice, swill the bowl around a little, cover and steep overnight or for up to 1 week.
  •  When the fruit have head their steeping time, put a large pan of water on to boil or heat some water in a conventional steamer, and butter your heatproof pudding basin, remembering to grease the lid too! Instead of making one 3 pint pudding I made one 2 pint for the family and one 1 pint pudding to give as part of a gift hamper.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine all the remaining pudding ingredients, not forgetting to let everyone have a stir and make a wish!
  • Add the steeped fruit, scraping in every last drop of liquor with a rubber spatula, and mix everything thoroughly. Now's the time to fold in the traditional charms or (cola-cleaned) coins, as we've mislaid the traditional family silver threepenny bits and I'm not keen on the idea of pound coins in my pud, I left the hardware out!
  • Scrape and press the mixture into the prepared pudding basin (basins) put the lid on and cover with a layer of tin foil, If your basin doesn't have a lid, just cover with a double-layer of baking parchment tied with string and then cover with a layer of tin foil. Then either put the basin into the pan of boiling water (to come half way up the basin) or in the top of a lidded-steamer and steam for 5 hours for a 3 pint pud or 3 hours each for a 2 pint and a 1 pint, taking care not to let the pan boil dry...like I did :s


  • When you pud has had its time, remove gingerly, unwrap the foil and put the pudding somewhere out of the way until the big day.
  • On Christmas day, re-wrap the pudding(s) in foil and steam again for a further 3 hours. To serve, remove from the pan or steamer, remove the lid, put a plate on top and up end, giving the plastic basin a little squeeze to release the pudding and voila...hopefully!
  • Its traditional to flame the pud at the table with warmed brandy (Nigella suggests Vodka) but feel free just to dig in, I'll be having mine with brandy-spiked white sauce (traditional in County Durham, UK) but any sauce you like is acceptable...my Daddy loves his with slightly unconventional custard!
My puds are now safely tucked away in the garage, I'll post an update as to how it tastes post-Christmas feast...probably post-nap too!)
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment