Friday 18 November 2011

'Degas and the Ballet: Picturing Movement' at the Royal Academy of Art

I'm back from London and as promised I'll be posting a couple of reviews of some exhibitions I saw whilst away! On Monday I finally got to see an exhibition I've been looking forward to since the summer, 'Degas and the Ballet: Picturing Movement' at the Royal Academy of Art and I can honestly say I was blown away! This was my first trip to the RA and I was so so impressed, the building is stunning and the exhibition spaces are not only beautiful but are used innovatively and to great effect!


This exhibition is the first to explore Degas’s progressive engagement with the figure in movement and charts the relationship between his work and the parallel advances in photography and early film. The exhibition features over 85 of Degas' paintings, sculptures and photographs, including some pieces that haven’t been seen before in the UK. I could try to explain how fascinating and comprehensive this exhibition but I'll leave it to Co-Curator Ann Dumas...
 

I know all that might sound complicated and high-brow but to be honest even if you know nothing about art you couldn't fail to appreciate the beauty of these works and if you're a fan of either Degas or ballet you will love this exhibition!Promise!
The exhibition is layed out thematically but in a roughly chronological order, meaning that as you move through each room you encounter a different area of Degas' work whilst also progressing through his career! One of Degas' most famous works, 'The Little Dancer Aged Fourteen' definitely takes centre-stage in the exhibition! She is so so lovely, with her little nose in the air and her fragile silk tutu, and it was fascinating to learn about Degas' technique and see the work alongside his preparatory sketches!

It was a tough call but I think 'The Red Ballet Skirts' (pictured above) was my highlight of the exhibition! This reproduction just doesn't do it justice, the vivid orange-red of the dancers skirts is stunning and Degas' mastery of pastels (which you'll know, if you've ever attempted to use them, are very difficult to handle) is remarkable! Mostly its just mesmerizing beautiful!
 Just had to mention the RA shop!They have some gorgeous things in the exhibition range, I picked up some postcards and an exhibition poster to add to my collection and because its (almost) the season to be jolly, I just had to have this lovely Christmas tree ornament featuring my favourite work from the exhibition!

'Degas and the Ballet: Picturing Movement' runs at the Royal Academy until the 11th December 2011 and I can't recommend it enough so catch it while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment